U.S. Department of State
U.S. Department of State
Other State Department Archive SitesU.S. Department of State
U.S. Department of State
U.S. Department of State
U.S. Department of State
U.S. Department of State
U.S. Department of State
U.S. Department of State
Home Issues & Press Travel & Business Countries Youth & Education Careers About State Video
 You are in: Under Secretary for Economic, Energy and Agricultural Affairs > Bureau of Economic, Energy and Business Affairs > Doing Business in International Markets > Business FAQ

Trade Restrictions


Q. Currently, what countries have sanctions placed on them by the U.S. Government?

A. The Office of Foreign Asset Controlsof the Department of Treasury provides information about sanctions regulations and maintains a list of individual entities with which U.S. parties cannot do business.

Q. What federal agencies are involved in export controls and over what products?

A. The Bureau of Export Administration (BXA) of the Department of Commerce provides links to federal agencies with export control responsibilities.

Q. What if I need additional information on which Federal agency has export controls/licensing authority over my product?

A. Go to the Bureau of Export Administration's General Information facts web page.

Q. What is a Commodity Jurisdiction request?

A. Go the Commodity Jurisdiction request.

Q. What are dual-use exports and who is the licensing agent?

A. Dual-use exports are those materials or equipment which are defense-related, involving sensitive (e.g., military or nuclear) or non-sensitive applications, such as computers, weapons, licensing of defense services and defense (munitions) articles.

Although the Bureau of Export Administration (BXA) the primary licensing agent for dual-use exports, the Defense Trade Controls (TDC) in the Department of State has authority over defense articles and services.

  Back to top

U.S. Department of State
USA.govU.S. Department of StateUpdates  |   Frequent Questions  |   Contact Us  |   Email this Page  |   Subject Index  |   Search
The Office of Electronic Information, Bureau of Public Affairs, manages this site as a portal for information from the U.S. State Department. External links to other Internet sites should not be construed as an endorsement of the views or privacy policies contained therein.
About state.gov  |   Privacy Notice  |   FOIA  |   Copyright Information  |   Other U.S. Government Information

Published by the U.S. Department of State Website at http://www.state.gov maintained by the Bureau of Public Affairs.