Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization
The Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization (OSDBU) ensures that all legislatively specified categories of small businesses in prime contracts and subcontracts are effectively utilized to the maximum extent possible. In a memorandum to Department employees, Secretary Rice expressed her support for the small business program: "Small businesses have maximum practicable access to our contracting opportunities." She views the socio-economic goals as a "floor not a ceiling" and that "all Department employees have a responsibility to support the Department's efforts to meet or exceed the goals."
What We Do
Champion U.S. small business interests in the Department's acquisition process.
- Provide to the small business community training and counseling about doing business with the Department of State in order to expand the base of small business firms selling to the Department.
- Provide training and counseling to our internal customers about contracting with small businesses. Assist internal customers in identifying resources that result in increased opportunities for small businesses.
U.S. small business community.
- State Department personnel domestically and overseas
- Large business prime contractors
- Small business trade associations
How We Accomplish Our Mission: Through outreach and communication with our customers and through teamwork.