Office of the Spokesman
June 20, 2003
Mechanisms of The Framework for High-Level U.S.-Brazil Consultations
Released on June 20, 2003
President George W. Bush and President of Brazil Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva agreed today on a framework for high-level consultations and joint working groups across the broad spectrum of areas in which they have decided to institutionalize enhanced cooperation. Mechanism of this framework includes the following:
- U.S. State Dept and Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Relations
-- Political Undersecretary Talks (semiannual);
-- Political/Military Talks (annual);
-- Law Enforcement Talks (annual);
-- Brazil/U.S. Common Agenda on Environment (annual).
- U.S. Defense Dept and Brazilian Ministry of Defense
-- Defense Bilateral Working Group;
-- Joint Staff Talks;
-- Army Staff Talks;
-- Navy Staff Talks;
-- Air Staff Talks.
- U.S. Treasury Dept and Brazilian Finance Ministry
-- Brazil/U.S. Initiative for Economic Growth.
- U.S. Agriculture Dept and Brazilian Ministry of Agriculture
-- Consultative Committee on Agriculture.
- U.S. Trade Representative and Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Relations
-- Consultative Mechanism on Trade and Investment (annual).
- U.S. Dept of Education and Brazilian Ministry of Education
-- US-Brazil Partnership for Education (annual).
- U.S. Energy Dept and Brazilian Ministry of Mines and Energy
-- Consultative Group on Energy.
- U.S. Dept of State and Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Relations/ANATEL
-- Brazil-U.S. Bilateral Telecommunications Consultation