Office of the Spokesman
July 8, 2008
Designation of Iranian Individuals and Entity for Proliferation Activities
The Department of State today designated under Executive Order 13382 two key Iranian individuals and one entity of proliferation concern. Today’s actions provide additional information that will help financial institutions in the United States and worldwide protect themselves from deceptive financial practices employed by Iranian entities and individuals engaged in or supporting proliferation.Released on July 8, 2008
- Iranian nuclear scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh-Mahabadi, for engaging in activities and transactions that contributed to the development of Iran’s nuclear program. Fakhrizadeh was included in the list of persons involved in Iran’s nuclear or ballistic missile activities in the annex of UNSCR 1747. The UNSC identified Fakhrizadeh as a senior scientist at the Ministry of Defense and Armed Forces Logistics (MODAFL) and former head of the Physics Research Centre (PHRC). The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has asked to interview him about the activities of the PHRC over the period he was head of the PHRC, but Iran has refused.
- Yahya Rahim Safavi, for materially contributing to Iran’s missile program. Rahim Safavi was named in the annex of UNSCR 1737 as the Commander of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and the UNSC listed him as being involved in both Iran’s nuclear and ballistic missile programs. On September 1, 2007, Safavi was replaced as IRGC Commander by Brigadier General Mohammad Ali Jafari, and was appointed as advisor and senior aide for armed forces affairs to the Supreme Leader of the Islamic Republic of Iran Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei.
- The TAMAS Company, for engaging in activities that pose a serious risk of contributing to Iran’s nuclear program. TAMAS was named in the annex of UNSCR 1803 for its involvement in enrichment-related activities. The UNSC listed TAMAS as the overarching body, under which four subsidiaries have been established, including one for uranium extraction to concentration and another in charge of uranium processing, enrichment and waste.
Effect of Today’s Actions
As a result of today’s actions, all transactions between any of the designees and any U.S. person will be prohibited and any assets the designees may have under U.S. jurisdiction will be frozen.
Proliferation Finance – Executive Order 13382 Designations
E.O. 13382, signed by the President on June 29, 2005, is an authority aimed at freezing the assets of proliferators of weapons of mass destruction and their supporters, and at isolating them from the U.S. financial and commercial systems.
Identifier Information Pursuant to E.O. 13382
July 8, 2008
1. Individual: Yahya Rahim Safavi
AKA: Rahim Safavi
AKA: Yahya Rahim-Safavi
AKA: Sayed Yahya Safavi
AKA: Yahia Rahim Safawi
AKA: Seyyed Yahya Rahim-Safavi
AKA: Yahya Rahim Al-Sifawi
Date of Birth: March to September 1952-1953
Place of Birth: Esfahan, Iran
2. Entity: The TAMAS Company
AKA: Nuclear Fuel Production Company
Location: No.84, 20th street. Northern Kargar Avenue. Tehran, 10000. Iran.
3. Individual: Mohsen Fakhrizadeh mahabadi
AKA: Mohsen Fakhrizadeh
Passport Numbers: A0009228, 4229533
For information on all the entities and individuals designated by the Department of State and Department of Treasury under E.O. 13382, see the Executive Order 13382 page on the Bureau of International Security and Nonproliferation’s website at http://www.state.gov/t/isn/c22080.htm.
For information on the sanctions program administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) at the Department of Treasury see http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/wmd/wmd.pdf.