Programs and Initiatives
The work of the Office of the Coordinator for Counterterrorism (S/CT) is wide-ranging and includes a breadth of activities involving the U.S. counterterrorism team and our international partners. The following list comprises our activities that have a specific programmatic or functional orientation.
- Anti-Terrorism Assistance Program (ATA) - provides U.S. Government anti-terrorism training and equipment to the law enforcement agencies of partner nations.
- Counterterrorism Finance Unit - implements significant parts of our nation's strategy to cut off financial support to terrorists.
- Country Reports on Terrorism - an annual, mandated report to Congress which provides lawmakers an assessment of trends in international terrorism and the nature of the terrorist threat throughout the world.
- Foreign Emergency Support Team (FEST) - the U.S. Government's only interagency, on-call, short-notice team poised to respond to terrorist incidents worldwide.
- Public Designations Unit - prepares public and official identifications of terrorists and terrorist organizations which carry legal sanctions.
- Technical Programs Unit - enhances the Counterterrorism technology and equipment capabilities of U.S. Government agencies/elements involved in counterterrorism/anti-terrorism activities.
- Terrorist Interdiction Program (TIP) - provides the immigration authorities of partner nations with a computer database system that enables identification of suspected terrorists attempting to transit air, land or sea ports of entry.
- Top Officials (TOPOFF) - a series of national-level domestic and international exercises designed to strengthen the nation's capacity to prevent, protect against, respond to, and recover from large-scale terrorist attacks involving weapons of mass destruction.
To access full descriptions of these programs and initiatives, please choose a selection from the list in the left-hand column. (To learn more about the entire scope of S/CT's work, please refer to the descriptions in the Directorates web section.)