Bureau of International Security and Nonproliferation
ECC country officers coordinate all interagency U.S. Government (USG) nonproliferation export control assistance programs. Officers establish priorities for such assistance in conformance with U.S. nonproliferation initiatives. ECC is responsible for developing, managing, and coordinating USG export control assistance programs in foreign nations.
ECC also manages multilateral coordination of nonproliferation assistance through its chairmanship of the Export Control Assistance Interagency Coordination Group. The Group evaluates activities other USG agencies are prepared to undertake to assist foreign governments in improving their national export control regimes. The Group also drafts interagency agreements providing for the management of congressionally appropriated funds for project implementation.
Key missions of the office include:
1) Chairing the Export Control Assistance Interagency Working Group.
2) Assessing the effectiveness of program countries’ national export control systems.
3) Developing, implementing, and managing the Export Control and Related Border Security (EXBS) program in order to help governments to establish, strengthen, and enforce export/border control systems and responsible export control policies consistent with international practices.
4) Reviewing, evaluating, and recommending to the ISN Assistant Secretary and Deputy Assistant Secretary for Threat Reduction, Export Controls, and Negotiations, projects that other U.S. Government agencies are prepared to undertake to assist foreign governments in improving national export control systems.
5) Managing and implementing additional programs apart from those implemented by other U.S. Government agencies including the responsibility for export control capacity-building in foreign partner states.
The Office of Export Control Cooperation (ISN/ECC) Director is Yvette Wong at (202) 647-1966 or by e-mail at email@example.com and Deputy Director is Andrew Church at (202) 647-2870 or by e-mail ChurchAP@state.gov. For a complete staff listing according to regional focus please see our Contact Us page.